Had a fairly productive weekend. Rough turned some bowls to set aside for drying, turned a few bits, made a captive ring tool and improved my technique quite a bit. I’ve been watching some training videos by Eli Avisera and have changed my stance & how I address the work piece. I was pleasantly surprised at how much difference it made to my turnings.
I will take a photo of the captive ring tool at some point, but that will have to wait until my thumb heals up. (I had a wee mishap changing the lathe speed)
We have had Mum & Dad staying for 10 days, so I turned a wee gift for them to take back home. It’s pretty much a rite of passage turning a gavel & block, and I have done many. This particular one was turned from yew, and has an oak handle with a captive ring, just for show.
I’ve also turned a gift in Oak which will be revealed at a later date, and a goblet from oak. This is oak I dried in the airing cupboard over the winter, and I’m pretty pleased with the result.
And finally, one of the thumb…..
This is a work in progress. lol
I’m having to do much less sanding after turning, which is a step in the right direction. The gavel actually needed very minimal sanding, where before I spent as much time sanding as I did turning.
All in all, I feel I’m definitely improving.