When I got my lathe, it came with a large elm burr. I have been avoiding turning it in case I didn’t do it justice, but have been desperate to turn something big at the same time. Yesterday I mounted it on a faceplate and had a go.
It’s a big old lump. Over 12″ in diameter.
I gave it a quick wipe with sanding sealer after turning the bottom. I wanted to keep as many of the faults in it as possible. It really is a stunning piece of wood.
Then flipped it over and hollowed the inside. I had my first go with my power sanding arbour on it as well.
Hopefully I made something worthwhile. I like it. It’s chunky, and shows off the natural flaws & fissures in the timber. The grain is stunning, and will take pride of place in our kitchen holding fruit.
I also had my first go at turning banksia nuts last week. One of my birthday presents, I’m easily pleased really. The nut, or seed pod, is quite bizarre looking.
Mounted on the lathe and turned it’s amazing how quickly the look changes.
This has been finished with friction polish only. Really quirky, but hard on the tools.
You must be logged in to post a comment.