Get knotted

Having seen many turnings using a “celtic knot” in the design, I decided I wanted a piece of the action. Using my trusty table saw and general purpose blade, I decided to try cutting the drifts in a maple pen blank using the table supplied mitre gauge and free-handing the drift position.
I cut some mahogany for the inlay and glued it in place as I made each drift cut. Later, I cut the blank to size and drilled it out before glueing in the tubes.
After a bit of turning, some finishing, and a quick polish – this is what I ended up with.
celtic knot pen #1
Not so good. I need to add a jig like this one to the set-up, and perhaps elongate the knot. I think 45° was a little too squashed up personally.

We live and learn.

This entry was posted in Woodturning and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.