No, I didn’t break it……… Well, OK, I did. I started this dish from a crotched piece of alder harvested from a diseased tree at work in 2014. The wood is nicely spalted, but there was a chunk of bark between the branches. I had decided on a high walled bowl, but that was not to be. The bowl gouge sprung a part of the lip off. Oops!
Oh well, back to the drawing board.
It’s not all that bad, I was able to save it. The high sided bowl is now a shallow dish. It is common for wood to break or split when turning. It is unlikely that it means the end of a project though, it just needs a bit of lateral thinking to salvage something.
Not a complete disaster. The finished dimensions are approximately 50mm high
By 200mm in diameter. The spalting is nice, and the grain pattern from the crotch makes it interesting.
And of course it has a nice flat bottom.
I am slowly working my way through the current pile of wood, but need to gather more. Storage is the key. I need somewhere to keep it.
Part of the clear-out is the continuing effort to use up small odds and ends of scrap. These photos were taken on the iPhone after my camera battery died. I call this one Scully.
It is another bit of elm burl leftover from my fruit bowl project. Finish is Chestnuts friction polish.
This one will probably stay in the shed to anchor stuff on the magnetic whiteboard. Small, but perfectly formed….. just like me……. 🙂
Next week sees me another year older, so I have booked some time off work. I will be visiting one of my favourite wood suppliers to buy some raw materials then spending a few days just chilling in the shed.
You must be logged in to post a comment.