Not turning related, but I made good use of all the new tools today. We recently had a log stove installed, and need a mantle for above it. We visited Scottish Wood today, and brought home a lovely piece of elm.
I cut it to size, planed, then thicknessed it. I then used a rounding over bit in the router to soften the edges before sanding it to 800grit. It was given 3 coats of polyurethane satin varnish.
I just need to get it mounted now.
Once it’s all in place, I may treat the world to a photo.
I’ve got a similar oak one to go around my fireplace. Got to wait until we have finished decorating the living rook first. Champing at the bit to get it in pace and properly oiled…